Sunday, November 4, 2018

Sept 21, 2018 Day 6 at sea


Woke up this morning sailing on a very big ocean; no land in sight, just water and sky and that’s what I love. We took our time getting going which was very relaxing to not have to rush off to something. I made coffee in our cabin and we hung out until it was crunch time for an origami lesson. With no time for breakfast we hurried off to the Fyzz Lounge and took a seat. In just a few moments the instructor started the lesson of how to make an origami butterfly and by step 4 I was already behind not understanding which way to fold it. In a moment of lingering over it the lesson proceeded onto the next steps without me being able to catch up. A couple of kind ladies in the class offered to help me and each one folded it in a different way so that made it interesting. In the end I had a beautiful fat, new species of orange butterfly which i will never be able to duplicate so that was cool.

Then one of the ladies mentioned that another class was about to begin in the Spinnakers Lounge and the class was on how to learn and speak Mandarin. It sounded good to me and as Annie was going to attend something else I asked another women if she’d like to join me; her name was Quin and she said ok. Eventually I found out this lady was from Vancouver and we had a lot to chat about after the lesson was over. The only thing I remember in Mandarin is shi shi for thank you. Quin and I both agreed that it would have been more appropriate if it had been a Japanese class since we’ll be going to Japan soon. However, a class in Japanese might be on the agenda already as its 8 or 9 days before we get to Japan so no point in suggesting it to management.

I then went to the Garden Cafe and had lunch with a nice couple who were originally from Beijing and now live in Washington DC. I chose pork roast with sauerkraut and a cauliflower dish with caraway seeds and garlic which was very good. It was cool to talk to them of the places I love in Beijing, the changes there since I had first gone in the 90's and all sorts of stuff. It’s no secret that I love the country of China and especially the city of Beijing and its people. I somehow feel like I’m home when I go there and I feel like I’m one of them when I’m in their company.
But I became so cold sitting there I knew I had to get to my cabin and warm up for awhile lest I end up with pneumonia again so I had to say goodbye but I hope I’ll see them again.

Then on my way out of there I pass the ice cream machine and I can’t stop myself from getting some. Yes, I was already freezing but I got a bowl of ice cream and beat it down to my room, cranked up the thermostat and climbed into bed to eat it!

Later I went for dinner and can’t remember what I ate now but I’m sure it was good. In the past I always remembered to take a pic of my food, this time although I’ve been carrying my camera everywhere I go I don’t always remember to take pics. Actually missed a lot of scenery shots as well and stuff going on aboard. It seems this is a totally different cruise for me this time.





























No comments: